Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Italy: Boletti Beans

 Country:Italy (and the USA?)

Story: I'm not really sharing a recipe with this post. Just a story, and a new (to me) veggie.  Since I arrived in Italy I've seen these beautiful beans in the market, and the local ladies loading up on them.  I had no idea what they were called, and was nervous as to what I might do with them.  They were clearly popular and I was envious.  Thank goodness for the Internet.

They are Boletti Beans, and don't they just steal the show for looks?  The ruddy stripes fade away on cooking, but the memory remains and I'm pretty sure they taste better for the memory.

They are great for all things you can do with beans, from baked beans, to soups, chilli, etc.  I cook a lot of bean dishes in the cold of Winter (or any time of year in the UK).  Here in Italy it's just not the weather for such a dish, so I just cooked them and tossed with Olive oil, salt and pepper, sat back and enjoyed.  They would be good tossed in a nice green salad too. Delicious!


Apparently they are 'difficult' to grow in the UK, and Italy is about the best you can get for them.  Something I didn't realize is that these beans are 'New World' and apparently widely available in the States where they are known as Cranberry beans.  I'll be looking out for them when I get back there.

2 comments:

  1. they ARE eye-catching, aren't they? and you know what they say: beans, beans, good for your heart! beans, beans, GREAT for your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) I've only just polished them off... I'll (maybe) let you know about the results. Have you seen them in the USA? Any in your garden?

    ReplyDelete